Flourless Chocolate Brownies
(Makes nine large brownies or sixteen small brownies)
6 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped finely
¼ cup salted butter, chopped into small cubes
1 cup coconut sugar
4 large pastured eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray an 8” nonstick baking pan with coconut oil baking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
3. Off heat, stir in butter and sugar, mixing until butter is completely melted.
4. Stir in vanilla extract, then eggs, adding one at a time and combining completely after each addition. Batter should become thick and glossy.
5. Scoop batter into prepared pan and level with an offset spatula, tapping the pan against the counter a few times to eliminate any air bubbles.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until just set – it’s okay if the brownies are still a little jiggly in the middle. If you prefer really chewy brownies, bake for only 15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, then cut into squares and enjoy!
7. Store leftover brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to two months.
• If you don’t have coconut sugar, white sugar or brown sugar will work too.
• If you have access to it, vanilla bean paste (or a fresh vanilla bean) adds more flavor than vanilla extract.
• Use the best quality chocolate that you can find for the best tasting brownies.
• For dairy-free brownies, sub coconut oil, palm shortening or vegetable shortening for the butter.
• For mint brownies, add 2-6 drops peppermint essential oil. For orange brownies, add 2 drops orange essential oil. Almond extract, caramel extract, butter rum extract, or banana extract would all create delicious versions too.